Phone 734.769.9300

Planning for Family Members with Special Needs

Providing for the future of a family member with special needs is one of the most important things you can do. Whether you have a special needs child approaching adulthood, or your adult family member is applying for assistance, you can provide financial assistance without risking their eligibility for public assistance programs.

We can help you take advantage of financial tools, including special needs trusts and ABLE accounts, called MiABLE in Michigan. A properly funded trust or ABLE account will allow you to financially provide for your adult special needs family member beyond the scope of government benefits — without affecting their eligibility for those programs.

We Can Help

Navigating the multiple assistance programs without jeopardizing your family member’s eligibility can be complicated. Drafting special needs trusts is highly technical and requires up-to-date knowledge of the rules and regulations.

Warren & Schairbaum offer the legal services to advise you on protecting your family member’s eligibility for government programs, even when you wish to provide extra financial assistance. We can advise on special needs trusts and MiABLE accounts, and help determine whether to apply for Social Security Disability Benefits or Supplemental Security Income. We can also work with personal injury attorneys to ensure that settlements and awards don’t disrupt eligibility for these government benefits.

Need help understanding terms related to special needs planning? Find our glossary here

Making a plan to provide for a family member with special needs can bring peace of mind.

Together, we can help you achieve your goal of lifelong financial stability for your family member with special needs.